Coconut oil is a popular all purpose remedy ranging anywhere from cooking to personal care and cleaning, and with the enormous health benefits and ease of use, it is no wonder that many people use coconut oil in meal preparation and as replacements for standard household and beauty products.
The health benefits of coconut oil are many with some of the most promoted being heart health, proper thyroid functionality, healthy brain function as well as healthy skin and an overall stronger immune system. Another benefit of coconut oil is that it provides great energy for the body, supporting strong metabolism which in return may help weight loss.
Despite its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties another good thing about coconut oil is that it is readily available and affordable too! And if you are into DIY, coconut oil is certainly a very good companion for almost any homemade concoction whether for the kitchen or bathroom, and guess what, it doesn’t go rancid!
I have seen many creative uses of coconut oil, but here’s list of some common uses of coconut oil (in no particular order).
25 uses for coconut oil
1) Lip Balm - Just like olive oil, beeswax and essential oils are great for natural lip balms, coconut oil on its own does at wonderful job at treating cracked lips and keeping them healthy.
2) Face/Body moisturiser – Coconut oil works well as a gentle body moisturizer and can be applied anywhere on the body, perfect for dry legs, elbows, hands and even feet. Some people may say that using coconut oil on the face clog pores, which it may or may not depending on your skin type.
3) Diaper rash - you can replace many store bought baby products and use coconut oil for nappy rash.
4) Pan frying – Coconut oil is believed to be one of the healthiest types of oils to cook with due its high smoke point. Coconut oil is almost a completely saturated fat making it less susceptible to heat damage.
5) Salad dressing – Why not add a bit to a salad dressing
6) Eye cream – Use as a natural eye cream, and easy replacement to a lot of beauty creams
7) Shaving lotion – Use coconut oil as a natural shaving lotion, soothes and gentle on the skin
8) Make-up remover – Use as your very own natural make-up remover
9) Sun burn care – apply coconut oil on sunburns
10) Dry feet dry feet/ fungus treatment – apply coconut oil on dry feet or if you suffer from fungal infections coconut oil may assist in treatment
11) Leave in conditioner – Leave in a bit of coconut oil on dry ends overnight. Just remember to cover your hair so you don’t damage your pillow.
12) Massage oil – works well as a massage oil
13) On hands to avoid dry skin – use as a daily hand lotion
14) Add to smoothies – enjoy the health benefits and add a bit to a smoothie
15) season cast iron – Works very well in keeping cookware up to date
16) Stretch marks – may help prevent stretch marks during pregnancy
17) Eczema/Psoriasis – may help sooth eczema and psoriasis
18) Treatment of dry scalp – if you suffer from dry scalp and/or associated dandruff applying coconut oil may be of ease. Coconut oil is also believed to have a possible affect on hair growth
19) Bites – can help relieve itchy bug bites
20) Baby lotion – just as coconut oil is useful for nappy rash it’s a good alternative to store bought lotions.
21) Stain remover – (may mix with baking soda)
22) Natural sweetener – Sweetener for coffee and tea
23) Leather treatment – Polish and soften leather goods
24) Body scrub – (mix half a cup of coconut oil with a handful of salt and sugar and you have your very own natural DIY body scrub)
25) Frizzy Hair – Help manage frizzy hair (but don’t apply too much as it gets sticky)
Coconut oil may also work as an insect repellent if mixed with natural oils, or as a natural deodorant. Some people rinse their mouth (often referred to as oil pulling, an ancient Ayurvedic practice) with coconut oil which may help getting rid of bacteria.
If you would like to try cooking with coconut flour here’s some great Coconut Flour Cookie Recipes.
What’s your favorite uses of coconut oil? I would love to hear your ideas in the comments section below.
Dr Mercola | Foodmatters
Healthy living hub enthusiasts are passionate about well-being and healthy lifestyles, and we aim to help people return to their best by motivating and promoting simple changes in lifestyle and food habits. We encourage the mind body connection and believe in an all-round approach to health and personal well-being.
Latest posts by Healthy Living Hub (see all)